Not All Heroes Wear Capes

Photography by Mikela Greenough
Blood Donations

Last Friday, October 5th, a blood drive occurred here at La Joya in the student parking lot, held by United Blood Services.

Annalisya Mercado, a senior, was one of the many students that donated blood on campus.

She thought, “overall, the experience was great and fun. The doctors made us feel comfortable.” She said the only part that wasn’t so fun was the needle.

FBLA is the organization known as Future Business Leaders of America, which sponsored the Blood Drive this year. They are a hard working new organization.

Ms. Kuehn is part of the FBLA which said the “students ran the blood drive effectively, responsibly and took initiative,” including the FBLA committee service chairman Clara Ceniceros who was one of the students who did great help run the blood drive. She mentioned that they will possible have another drive  second semester.

Ashlyn Walker, a senior at La Joya explained she, “wanted to give back and due to my age there are a few things I can do but I knew this was one way I could give back and it would help a lot of people”.

It is recommended to donate blood at least three times a year. The process is only four steps: donating, an interview, quick physical, donations-and there are even snacks and beverages afterwards!

Donating blood is very important since every three seconds, someone needs blood. Statistics show that 60% of the US is eligible, but only 5% donate yearly. It takes an average of 3.4 pints for one blood cell transfusion. So just know that not every hero wears a cape. If YOU would like to be a hero, consider your eligibility in donating blood today!