Students From Centerra Mirage STEM Academy Hospitalized After Taking Pills

Six students at Centerra Mirage STEM Academy were sent to the hospital after taking pills. The authorities believe that two seventh grade boys brought the pills to school and handed them out to their classmates.

At around 1 pm, one of the students who took the pills was found unresponsive in the school’s cafeteria. Soon after, six other students complained of stomach aches and were lethargic.

The Goodyear police have yet to find out the type of pills the students took.

The students, ranging in ages from 12-15 years old, were taken to the Phoenix Children’s Hospital Tuesday night, around 8 pm. All but one student has been released.

“It’s scary, it’s drugs. I don’t know, even if it’s regular pills, I don’t know why they did it,” said parent Daisy Botello.

The school says that they have a zero tolerance policy for drugs and that the students who supplied the pills will be expelled.

Goodyear Police announced on Wednesday that the two teens who distributed the pills are expected to be charged with possession of prescription drugs, transfer of prescription drugs and possession of drugs in a drug free zone.

“What is typical in any kind of drug case is that there needs to be a verification process that needs to happen so those medications are sent to the DPS lad for review,” said Lisa Kutis, spokeswomen for the Goodyear Police Department.

The type of drugs the students took won’t be released until the Goodyear Police receive the drug test results from the DPS lab.