One Peaceful Protest From Kaepernick Spreads Like Wild Fire

The FlagOn September 16th all players on the Seattle Garfield High School football team and coaching staff knelt (took a knee) during the National Anthem.

An image of the gesture circulated around social media.

Kaepernick’s protest has caught the attention of teen athletes from several different high schools.

Some find this act of protest disrespectful because they feel that it disrespects the flag and those soldiers who are fighting for our freedoms.

But others feel that it is their freedom of speech and that they can protest in a peaceful way about the injustice towards minorities. Everyone has varying opinions on the protest that took place.

A La Joya student Diamond Beavers said, “That’s a little difficult, but I would think that as long as they know what they’re doing and not just doing it because it’s their favorite athlete did it, then I would say that’s their First Amendment right”. 

The First Amendment states  “The United States Constitution prohibits the making of any law respecting an establishment of religion, impeding the free exercise of religion, abridging the freedom of speech, infringing  on the freedom of the press, interfering with the right to peaceably assemble , or prohibiting the petitioning for a governmental redress of grievances. ” 

While Seattle Garfield High School took part in a peaceful protest comments were made about how disrespectful the team was for not standing during the national anthem.

Joshua Marchand said on Facebook, commenting on the photo of the football team,  “Hard to believe coaches allow this to happen. Veterans raise the flag at games where I come from. Such blatant disrespect, sickening”.

The other comments made were very explicit and inappropriate towards the Football players.

There are two sides to the protest that are right or wrong, but regardless the First Amendment protects their right to protest.