Getting the Hang of Slang

We live in a generation where calling someone out is being “savage” and “ship” isn’t a boat. Instead of using proper words found in dictionaries, fellow peers use “words” that may not even have a definition.

In school, people use slang more than their proper English and teachers somehow understand what students are trying to say.

Simone Ables, a student at La Joya Community high school said, “I use proper language at school so that I seem more professional but once I get on my phone and talk to my friends I am using every slang word possible.”

Ables is just like every other student in schools all over the country, they use slang on their phones and when they talk to friends. One thing she doesn’t share in common with others is that she uses proper language when speaking to teachers. Students use the language they use when speaking to friends and how they text in their actual professional conversations. This isn’t a good idea because

“You speak how you text and you get used to your everyday talk.” said by Simone Ables

A few words that you may know are dope, lit, and swag. All these words may not have a definition but since 1999, “Urban Dictionary” has allowed to give a “definition” to these words. Dope, a word to describe drugs such as heroin and is used to describe how good something is. “Lit” does have a definition in the Webster dictionary but according to urban dictionary this word means, “when something is turned up or popping.” These definitions do use slang but there’s words that you can only explain with other slang.

Stephanie Villarreal, an English teacher at La Joya Community high school said, “I can understand students using slang by the context they use it in.”

This method of understanding new words is used by a lot of teachers and allows them to correctly take in the students statements. Slang is used in this generation and somehow it’s getting used more and more by many more people, the increase in language change is up to our population and how it can affect our future and our future generations.