Over Crowded

When one school year ends and another one arises, the incoming freshman class increases every year. This year La Joya has a total of 587 freshman students enrolled. Visually, that is about one whole side of the gymnasium bleachers being over crowded with students-and that is just one graduating class. I mainly write about the freshman class because they are statistically the largest class La Joya currently has. As seen in the pie chart, the junior and senior class has fewer students than the freshman and sophomore class. We asked a few staff members and students of all grades about how they felt towards the population issue and what La Joya could do to make it better; here is what a few had to say. “I think that there are too many people for how big the school is,” said by Alex Encinas, senior class. A sophomore student, who would rather stay anonymous had said, “I think we should have more buses! It is way too cramped on the way to school and on the way home.” But aside from the dis-comfort with the population, there are a few students and teachers who believe the growing population is a great thing. “I feel like the school is growing in a positive manner because the academics we’re offering are starting to bring students who would normally go to university high-to us. Not only are we growing academically but athletically I feel like we are growing as well,” Said by Mr. Scott West, World and U.S History teacher. Even though finically it may have its downside, it is believed that as a school we are helping the community by accepting all students who enroll; Thus living up to its honorable name, La Joya Community High school.