Filed under Showcase, US & World

DACA on the Line

https://ethicsbob.com/category/government-2/

At midnight on November 9, 2016, millions of Americans felt the fear stir inside of them as the 45th president was announced.

Although many are scared of what the future will bring, this is the moment where all Americans need to join forces no matter the race, sexuality, or beliefs. There is no way in altering the result, but there is a way of making sure Donald Trump does not follow through with what he promised.

Trump promised that he will deport millions of students that are guarded by the program DACA (the program provides temporary relief from deportation and a two-year work permit to qualifying young adults ages 15 to 30 who were brought to the U.S. illegally as children) all in approximately two years.

“We have to rescind Obama’s executive order offering those brought to the U.S. illegally as children — known as Dreamers — protection from deportation” said Donald Trump.

This including hundreds of peers in our classrooms and people we see in our day to day lives.

Overall, “728,000 undocumented young immigrants — often referred to as Dreamers — that the federal government says have been approved for DACA are in a fragile state.” according to http://www.nbcnews.com/

His thoughts should affect all of the students in the United States even if It does not directly include them, this change will cause chaos all throughout the United States if it is put in play.

The way we must protect those we care about and who are at a disadvantage is by speaking our mind but not in a violent way like many have been doing since Trump began campaigning. A student at La Joya Community High School who would rather not be identified says,

“Violence is not necessary in order for change to occur, he already has a horrible perspective of immigrants, theirs no need to make it worse”

This student is also protected by DACA and knows what the struggles are of living undocumented in the United States. If she could give any advice to students who are currently going through the same situation she is it would be,

“I would say to prove Trump wrong, take advantage of our education while we can and become the best of the best”

All these students are here for is to get a proper education, many of them did not even have a choice when deciding if they wanted to come to the U.S. Most students in the Daca program came to the United States at a very young age. In contrary to what Trump believes immigrants are extremely hardworking and are here to help America progress.

Azucena Teran, Staff

Azucena Teran is currently a junior at La Joya Community High School. She is a huge fashionista who loves watching Netflix and listening to music. She...