Turn Off the Stereo

DeAsiah Ball, Staff

“I would like to end with this thought: That when we reject the single story, when we realize that there is never a single story about any place, we regain a kind of paradise” said Chimamanda Ngozie Adichie.

America, land of the free. Or maybe that’s just what they are forcing to be the title. America is built of different religions, races, genders, culture, and yet all of the historical events and single stories are h0w these groups are seen. Women are meant to stay in the kitchen, teens are reckless and immature, men are the only ones that need to be in power, of Middle Eastern decent are a danger to America, and of Hispanic decent are the cause of all drug problems. The stereotypes that have been made up come from the stories that are published in the media. Donald J. Trump, has added fuel to this fire by making a statement about building a wall to keep out all of the drugs and “criminals” from Mexico and making inappropriate comments towards women.

Photo credit: Paula B.

“The problems that come along with being Mexican in America is that I’m constantly being attacked  by others to go back to Mexico because we don’t belong here since we’re not white” said Paula Benavides Mendoza (Right).

Because of the media people, such as Paula, are being harassed for wanting to just come and settle to make a living.

Picture credit: Ainor E.

One of the biggest stereotype people try to place on me would have to be the fact that all Muslims are terrorist. Every time someone finds out I’m Middle Eastern or Muslim, their first thought is that I could be a terrorist or could bring harm to them” said Ainor Elgamal(Right).

This could be the end result of the years spend of having ISIS flashing on our screens countless times a day, yet they don’t speak out for the rest of the Middle East.

To rid of all these stereotypes and false accusations upon groups of culture/race. What needs to happen is to venture out into these places that have such one sided stories and see them for what they truly are.