Not Planned

Teacher Feature: Coach Fontes

Coach Fontes teaches PE, weights and health. He didn’t plan on being a teacher, but he got an offer to be a Coach for football at a private school and he took it. Coach Fontes coached for eight years and after coaching he went onto GCU and finished his classes, he then got hired at La Joya Community High School.

For years Coach Mitchell was trying to get Coach Fontes to be a teacher, but Fontes said ” I would never ever become a teacher” but his life took a 180 and now he’s here teaching at La Joya.

He never saw himself teaching in front of students because he was never comfortable talking in front of people, after he got the experience at GCU he was more comfortable, he says “now I feel like I can relate with the kids and tell them stories and have it related to their lives.”

He loves the kids at the school and likes to see them smile and laugh, he says seeing kids like that puts him in a good mood and makes him excited and makes him feel like that’s the reason why he’s here. Coach Fontes says that coaching comes natural to him and that it feels right to do, he says that he feels like something he’s supposed to do and that his call is coaching.

Fontes still sees himself being at La Joya Community High School and he thinks that the school is going in the right direction.