Learning and Teaching at the Same Time

A student becomes the teacher
The layout
To the right, is her sister’s schoolwork, and off camera is Brenda’s setup.

Brenda Gonzalez Lopez is a sophomore at La Joya Community High school in Avondale Arizona. COVID-19 has resulted in first semester classes online, affecting her and her siblings. One of those siblings is in Kindergarten, resulting in Brenda as the teacher.

Kindergarten is the first learning experience her sister has ever experienced. Due to the Coronavirus, her first learning experience is online. This is challenging because she doesn’t have a feel for what a normal classroom is like.

Brenda stated that: “Assisting Natalie is kind of hard because she has no knowledge of anything and is very impatient with her work, she usually gives up quickly. There are times where I have to leave class because she doesn’t know what she is doing.”

Having no previous knowledge of an actual classroom or has resulted in Brenda coming up with ways to help her sister that appeals to her learning style.

“She learns better by looking at things one by one, otherwise she gets lost very easily. She also likes rewards” said Brenda when asked

This is a birds-eye view, or what the setup looks like from above.

what kind of methods she uses to teach her sister.

Though things are odd during this time, she has found ways in how this situation has positively affected her. She explains how this situation has taught her patience.

“I learned to be patient with her, and I even found creative ways to keep her engaged in the things she is learning,” said Brenda when asked if anything good has come from assisting her.

The struggle has been real, affecting Brenda and others. But if there is something someone can learn from these times, it’s that it is a learning experience, and humanity must grow with it in order to keep everything together.