Hamilton: From Broadway to the Big Screen

Alright, alright. That’s what I’m talkin’ about!

As of 2020 Alexander Hamilton and the rest of the crew could be jumping from the stage of Broadway to the big screens of everywhere! Is this necessarily a good or bad thing though?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/resizer/RyEg7-UV9ztU7nKFkDxWSvu2pLY=/1484x0/arc-anglerfish-washpost-prod-washpost.s3.amazonaws.com/public/XZFWJTEV4UI6RAML5G3TJDGYPU.jpg
Taken by The Washington Post

The 2015 Broadway play of Hamilton is a mix of hip-hop, rap, soul, and many other musical genres to display the life of the Founding Father Alexander Hamilton. It was written by Ron Chern0w, lyrics by Lin-Manuel Miranda, and choreographed by Andy Blankenbuehler. The Musical takes you from Hamilton’s arrival in New York, his involvement in the war, the election of 1800, down to the duel that cost him his death. Since it was day viewed in 2015 it has won 11 Tony Awards, a Grammy, the Pulitzer Prize of Drama, and nominated for so much more.

Though it has been a well loved musical to watch and listen to some are worried that if it is to hit the big screens it may never be the same.

“I think that these are one of those shows that aren’t as impact as a film,” said Katie Ludlow, theater director at La Joya Community High School.

Another Hamilton listener responded with

“…it is already such an amazing musial that bringing it into a movie would not be able to measure up to it and it just wouldn’t be good because it would be overrated. ,” said Courtney Sadownik Junior at La Joya Community High School. 

A lot of the original cast that is in the musical ventured out into the Hollywood world of film after their final curtain close. For instance, Lin-Manuel Miranda (Hamilton) has announced that he will be taking part in the live action The Little Mermaid Disney film that is coming up along with Mary Poppins Returns. Christopher Jackson (George Washington) is also taking the Disney root but announcing he will be playing in the live action The Lion King. 

But some are ever going onto the path of television shows such at Okieriete “Oak” Onaodowan (Hercules Mulligan, James Madison) on Grey’s Anatomy. 

With their new experience in the Hollywood film world maybe the film could really make it big. Heck, maybe even the Prince Harry and his wife Catherine, the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, will go and see it. Image result for prince harry at hamilton