5 Study Hacks To Improve Your Memory

Vanessa Sanchez, Staff

Have you ever taken a test and know you studied and forget most of the information. It’s been proven that exercise can boost your memory and brain power. Research conducted by Dr. Chuck Hillman of the University of Illinois provides evidence that about 20 minutes exercise before an exam can improve performance.

1. While some experts argue the ability to concentrate during silence or listening to music while studying is left up to personal preference, many agree that playing certain types of music, such as “obscure 18th century composers,” can help students engage parts of their brain that help them pay attention and make predictions. Not to mention, listening to music may improve your mood and change your whole outlook about studying in general.

2. Documentaries are an entertaining way of compacting an entire story into a short timeframe. This will help you remember key details from a story plus you may even get extra credit for mentioning that you took the initiative and watched a film about the topic!

“Almost every topic has a backstory and researching the topic is important to do” said Britney Flores (junior).

3. When your brain is working, you need to take regular study breaks to help your brain absorb more information but also to keep you motivated and focused when you are working. Take a short break after 45-50 minutes study as your focus and concentration will become impaired after this period, anything new after 1 hour 30 minutes does not get assimilated.

“When I had enough of working on homework or studying I watch videos or listen to music” said Ariana Montes (junior).

4.  In our technology-driven world, we often mindlessly pick up our smartphones to answer a text or check a social media feed while we’re in the middle of another task. In some situations, the ability to multitask can prove handy, but when it comes to learning a new skill or memorizing information, it’s best to focus on that one thing.

“Instead of studying in my head I say it out loud and repeat it to remember” said Isaac Rodriquez (junior).

5. Studying in a group can help you collect new insights to enhance your learning experience. Being in a group helps you share resources, discuss ideas and interact with members of your team or group project.