Nerds Against Nurdles

Sonia Leyva, Staff

Alright, Alright we know everyone and especially including you, yes , YOU!! Drink out of plastic bottles daily. I’d say about maybe three four times a day. I get it, you drink from a water bottle and just throw it away in any nearby trash can without a second thought. I’m here to tell you to give it a few extra seconds.

That water bottle out of many I assume you drink, if you don’t then at least aim to drink three water bottles a day. So once that plastic hits the bin where you’re throwing it away, do you know where it goes? It travels through certain places not always a good one.

It travels through a recycling plant or it goes to the ocean or just on the streets. If you want to really know 1 in 5 water bottles get recycled. The remaining four add on to 3 billion pounds of waste each year. The water bottles either end up on the side of the street or big industries, they end up in the ocean. If you must know plastic bottles don’t decompose until a very long time and even then they break up into little bits and pieces. These little bits and pieces are called “Nurdles” which are micro plastic. Nurdles are affecting marine life around the globe.

Nurdles are harming ecosystems and marine life. Marine animals swallow the micro plastic and it harms them because their digestive system isn’t strong enough to handle it. Michael Fuertes, Junior, says “I try to do my part by recycling at home and reusing water bottles. It affects me because it’s affecting my community”. Also Tatianna Medillan ,Junior, said ” Wow, I didn’t even realize it was that bad, you’ve really changed my perspective”. Be like these fellow lobos and care for the environment. Help out the community and show pride in your school by keeping it clean.

Also do your part at home by recycling and picking up trash wherever you go. Cleaning up after yourself and having La Joya looking spiffy. Participate in ‘Nerds Against Nurdles’ because its a Lobo Thing.