First Football Game of the Season

After a long, hot summer of training and preparing for the football season ahead of them, the La Joya football team strutted their stuff on the field last Friday.

Having practiced every week, and even spent time at a training camp in Winslow, Arizona, saying that our Lobos are dedicated would be saying the least.

We interviewed Coach Mitchell, who is coaching for his fourth year here at La Joya. He beamed when speaking on how much his team has improved since the beginning of the summer.

“The main problem was that a lot of the players were inexperienced, but after this summer they’ve gotten a lot stronger” he said.

When asked about who he considered the team’s biggest competitor to be this season, he chuckled and responded without missing a beat. “Desert Edge, definitely.”

Desert Edge, who is number one in the state and in the same division as La Joya, is a tough team to beat but we know our Lobos are even tougher.

We were also able to catch up with La Joya senior, Jesus Ozuna, who revealed just how much being on the football team has impacted him and his life. He admitted that as a freshman, he was immature and had the tendency to slack off.

“Football has helped grow to be a better man and a leader.” said Jesus.

Unfortunately, we weren’t able to win the first game of the season against Mountain View (the score ending 6 to 51), but there’s no telling what our team has in store for us this season, especially as they are able to train and progress even more.

Be sure to keep showing up to every home game and continue supporting our Lobos!