New Students, Teachers, and Staff

Being new to a school can be nerve-racking whether you’re a student, teacher, or staff member. You never know what to expect. People ask themselves questions like, are the students going to be friendly and welcoming or mean and uninviting?

Mr. Fahleson is the new athletic director or as he prefers to be called “the director of arts, activities, and athletics.”

He was formerly known as the assistant principal and athletic director of Estrella Foothills High School in Buckeye, but moved to La Joya because he saw different professional opportunities and because it’s also a much larger school district.

When we asked him what he thought about his new surroundings he said, “I have been impressed with the student body because they have been very welcoming. For example, I noticed during lunch everyone is very friendly. The staff was also very welcoming, helpful, and understanding. So far I’m very impressed and glad everyone is showing me the lobo way.”

Some people don’t get the choice of whether or not they want to move to another school. For example, Julio Lopez used to attend Copper Canyon High School until he moved into a new house and is now a junior at La Joya.

We asked what he likes so far and he replied saying, “I like my teachers because they are a lot more friendly and welcoming. I also enjoy football because the coaches motivate me more and even though the team is competitive with each other we are still like a family.”

This year we have a teacher who was born all the way in France. Mr. Kvot moved from France to Minnesota because he wanted to explore something new and meet new people.

We also asked what he likes so far and he said, “I love the diversity of the classes. There is a lot of different cultures between all of the students and staff members. So far I really love my job.”

Nobody ever likes being the “new kid,” but here at La Joya the students and staff are very helpful and make new people feel like they have always been a part of the lobo pack. That’s just the way we show that we are proud lobos of La Joya Community High School.