How Returning to in-Person School has Helped Students & Teachers

Madelyn Martinez
Some of the many students at La Joya.

Students and teachers when asked their opinion about online learning will mostly give you the same response. Online learning for many, was an experience that gave us all a lot to think about and it is definitely something that many will never want to go through again.

During online school, teachers struggled to maintain students focused on their work. It is now easier to talk to the students when they’re in the space of their own classroom.

I think it’s easier to keep kids engaged when they’re in front of me versus a computer screen but I also will say those who had those cameras on during online tended to be more engaged than those who didn’t, eye contact is super important. Having you in person is easier to have those conversations. [However, we will never truly go back to what was normal back then]” said Ms. Eaton, a teacher at La Joya. 

Person touching computer keyboard with index finger
“Playing on the computer” by fd is licensed under CC BY-NC 2.0

Students, no matter the grade went through problems of actually participating in class when before the pandemic, they were top students. In-person assures that they can engage a lot more. Since in-person school allows for communication, their mental health is also much better.

“I think that I feel much more engaged now that I’m in person, and my mental health has overall increased since online” said Yareli Solis, a junior at La Joya.

Stressed Woman ( Andrea Piacquadio)

Looking at this through a students perspective it is clear to notice that online school wasn’t very beneficial to the way they performed in class. Now teachers can talk to their students about anything they need, without being ignored.

“…since I’m in person teachers can actually make sure we’re doing the work instead of emailing us and hoping we get it done. Just having teachers keep me in check helps me personally, like reminding me of due dates and all that, and they make sure I’m actually paying attention in class and not on my phone or napping like I used to when we were online” said Celeste Valadez, a junior at La Joya.

Communication plays a big factor in the way students and teachers do their job. Thankfully, schools are now back in person and so many things are much better. Whether it be mental health, attitude or even grades. In-person gives students the opportunity to participate in school activities.

La Joya's, A Chance, Cast
A Chance, cast from La Joya Theatre