Feminism: Why it is Important

Joshua Pyle

Have you ever thought about the reality behind feminism and how it is being represented in your community? Today I am here with Miss Malmos and Mr. Callaway who are both teachers at La Joya Community High School.

If one thing is for sure, it is that men and women deserve equality. In today’s world, sometimes I feel like that idea kind of slides away from people in everyday life. The idea of equality needs to be enforced and reinsured to make sure everyone has equality.

Ms. Malmos was asked why she thinks feminism is an important concept.

Group of High Schoolers Holding a Blue Feminism Sign
Joshua Pyle

She said, “I think equity is something that we need to strive for everyday Feminism is all about treating everyone fairly. It is a concept that extends to all human beings and not just women.”

Ms. Malmos was also asked how we as students can reinforce and strengthen the idea of feminism.

She said, “It comes down to treating one another with kindness. I think what gets frustrating for people trying to understand feminism is that they feel that they need to be politically correct other than kind. In reality, if you are kind to everyone, then you are treating everyone equitively.

Mr. Callaway was asked why he thinks feminism is important.

He said, “I think that there is always this like, wrong idea of what feminism is. People often assume that feminism is about equal rights for especially women. You see these things in men that are more common in women. It is a way to say that it is ok to be masculine and feminine. You can be a man and have feminine moments and you can be a woman and have masculine moments. It is ok for men to cry and for women to be strong. You should be able to be free and experience similar things without judgement.

Group of High Schoolers Holding Multiple Feminism Signs in Protest
Joshua Pyle

When it comes to modern society, people can forget such simple things as feminism. We as Lobos need to rise up and make a choice. Are you going to stand for the freedom of our pack and our people, or are you going to stand on the sidelines? Women deserve to be supported just as much as men. We must take the opportunity. We are the La Joya Lobos!