Student Athlete: The Homework Struggle

Nick Gamez, Staff

Being a student athlete myself I know first hand how hard it is to handle sports and homework. So to help I interviewed  four athletes that are currently in the season of their sport. These athletes have all had good grades through out their high school years and have been big contributors to their teams. Here is what these athletes had to say when asked about homework.

The first athlete that I interviewed was Saafir Newton; Saafir Newton is the starting middle linebacker for your La Joya Community High School football team. Saafir was asked a series of questions but an answer that stood out from him is when I asked him if the task of balancing homework and sports made his experience better or worse. Saafir answered the question saying “I think it has made my experience better because I have created relationships with certain people who I will never forget and it has definitely made me more intelligent and it gives me a way different view on certain things.”

Another athlete that I interviewed is Mariah Reyes. Mariah does more than cheer she is also a softball player and she has to stay on top of being an athlete and a student all year long. I asked Mariah what she had to give up in order to do both sports and she replied saying, “I had to give up sleep and time to be with family.” Obviously to be a student athlete there are certain sacrifices you have to make even if they are hard decisions to make.

Another athlete that knows the struggle of managing sports and homework is Deandre Dempson. Deandre is a well known face around La Joya and he is known for doing multiple things for the school such as being a football player, a soccer player, as well as being a dancer. Deandre is very talented but in order to do these things he said he had to give up friends, social media, and even sports if it is necessary.

The last person that I interviewed was Melissa Galdamez. Melissa is a student athlete who is above her class and has had much experience with homework and sports being that she had many advanced classes through out her high school years. I asked if she had any advice for people struggling balancing the two and she said, ” For people that need help, i would say school comes first no matter what because you are students before athletes. I would say the biggest thing is to manage time correctly and putting priorities first to keep up with grades and sports and also, that not to stress they’ll get through it and feel accomplished”.