Is coffee necessary?

Jazlynn Garcia
Picture of black coffee in a mug.

Coffee is very beneificial for many people. Teachers here at La Joya Community High School, Ms. Gaucin and Ms. Malmos, give their point of view on drinking coffee and how it affects them and the benefits drinking coffee has on them in the classroom.

“If I skip coffee or if I skip anything that has caffeine in it then the day feels longer, and I see my attitude reflected in the way I respond to students,” said Ms. Gaucin.

Picture of Ms. Gaucin holding her coffee cup during an interview
Picture of Ms. Gaucin during an interview. (Jazlynn Garcia)

Coffee can help people feel less tired and increase energy levels. Coffee does that because it contains a stimulant called caffeine. Which is why teachers may drink coffee, as an extra source of energy.

“I think that I’m having more fun and I’m more energetic, so I usually make the class a little bit more exciting and entertaining so people pay attention a little bit more,” said Ms. Malmos.

Ms. Malmos holding her coffee cup during an interview
Ms. Malmos holding her coffee mug. (Jazlynn Garcia)

According to statistics of highschool teachers in 2020, 55.8% of the teachers drink coffee. Which is quite a lot of teachers drinking coffee. The reason teachers drink coffee may be the fact that teachers are just really busy.

“Grading and designing assignments and just replying to students messages really late, not always but sometimes. And if its not that its a personal issue or I just wanted to have fun and stay up late and watch TV or whatever so the coffee makes up for the lack of rest, ” said Ms. Gaucin.

Different types of brands of coffee have different amounts of caffeine in it. So some people may be intaking higher amounts of caffeine than others. For adults who are healthy, it is recommend to have up to 400 milligrams per day. Anything over that could result in a caffeine overdose.

“This has 320 milligrams of caffeine which I know is a lot so I probably have a lot of caffeine everyday,” said Ms.Malmos.

If your feeling tired or are lacking energy, a solution may be to have some coffee. Some popular brands of coffee include Folgers, Starbucks, and Nescafe.