Oxford to counseling: Paula’s journey

Teacher Feature: Paula Oxford

We often forget who plays a big role in our academic journey in the hustle and bustle of high school. It’s the high school counselors who are the guiding lights that help students find success.

The counselors are not just in school and fix your appointment schedules, right? This new video offers an insightful look into the life of your high school counselor, Paula Oxford. This is offering a personal touch to an often-formal relationship of them. This would include Oxford’s family is introduced in the video. Just like students, counselors have families, and this segment shows how much warmth and support they get from them.

You will see how they talk about their spouse, children, and perhaps their siblings, giving you a sense of their personal life outside the school walls. She is a counselor, but she is just like you when you were a kid. In this section of the video, they share anecdotes from their childhood, giving them a relatable perspective. She will tell you about their hobbies, interests, and values, showing how counselors were once students, trying to make their way in the world.

A lot of people can relate to the counselor’s experience of not knowing exactly what they wanted to do when they were younger. Many students struggle with this, and this video highlights how your counselor’s own experience with uncertainty shaped their understanding of you. It’s surprising to find out how passionate your counselor is about sports. It shows counselors have interests outside of academics, cheering for their favorite teams.

This shows they’re people who appreciate a well-rounded life. It’s clear from the video, your high school counselor is more than just an academic advisor. Their challenges are the same as those students face. It is aimed at fostering empathy, understanding, and connection between counselor and student by sharing personal aspects of their lives.

The video will not only give you an insight into your counselor’s personal life but will also help you appreciate how they help you navigate high school and plan for your future. They’re not just here to help you academically, they are here to support you as a whole person, drawing on their own experiences and passions.

This is Paula Oxford.