Ms. Kuehn FBLA Gives Back

Future Business Leaders of America (FBLA) is the largest career student organization in the world and it’s taking off right here at La Joya. Each year nationwide FBLA helps over 250,000 members prepare for careers in business. Advisers and members have access to publications that prepare students for careers in business. It also helps advisers manage their chapters and much more.

FBLA has been popular with students in Marketing and Finance classes here at La Joya. Ms. Kuehn, the club adviser, is still accepting members who wish to develop business and leadership skills by holding chapter officer positions. Members are able to network with accomplished business professionals and participate in business-focused workshops, seminars and academic competitions.

Kuehn sees her role as an adviser as a natural career progression.

“As a business owner I started working with FBLA as a mentor, then when I became a teacher I started working as an adviser,” said Kuehn.

There is also growing excitement on campus over the club.

“Over 50 people came to our first kick-off social here at La Joya, and we gained 20 new members,” said Viviana Cabrera, historian of FBLA.

In October, the group organized the pink ribbon and participated in the school’s cancer walk. Ms. Kuehn herself has been breast cancer free since February 16, 2015.

After taking cans from students who donated them to the food drive, Kuehn is now on to another project. She is accepting donations of toys and pajamas to give to less fortunate kids at the U-Mom shelter in Phoenix, AZ.

Clara Ceniceros, the president of FBLA, is excited for the future of the group. FBLA has competitions, regionals and state conferences coming about and she encourages participation.

“Come visit the Lobo Den on Tuesdays and Thursdays after school in room 819,” said Ceniceros.