Balancing Work and School

Balancing Work and School
www.educationfirst.org

Students don’t always realize the complications of being employed. Some students want a job just to have extra money, others don’t have a choice on the matter. Sometimes employers work with students schedules but, there isn’t enough time in one day to fulfill day to day priorities.

It is always a good idea to make school the number one priority. A student at La Joya, Janelle Sadsad said, “When it comes to school work, I utilize every minute possible”. Making school your priority is crucial because forgetting that is easy especially when your time is limited.

Most of the time jobs will work with students’ schedules but you have speak up. David Cavazos, a junior at La Joya said, “I balance school and work by asking for every other day off so that I can do homework and study.” Updating availability is always an option but it is not always considered.

The difficult part about working and attending school is that time becomes limited. Ellena Veloz said, “It seems as if there is always more to be done but not enough time to do so.” Sooner or later your life becomes repetitive, having the same routine every single day with no time for anything else.

Although having a job seems to work for everyone else, it may not be the best decision for you. The reason being, having a job is not only about making money, it is a never ending cycle and sacrifices and prioritizing becomes key.