25% Decrease of Hispanic Student Attendance After 680 Illegal Immigrants Arrests in Mississippi

Credit: Rogelio V. Solis/AP

Credit: Rogelio V. Solis/AP

FOREST-A quarter of Mississippi’s Scott County School District’s Hispanic students were reported absent after the largest single-state raid of illegal immigrants during the first week of August.

The absences were a direct result from the raid of at least 680 undocumented immigrants. After ICE had suspicion of seven different food processing plants of illegal activity, they were ordered to do a raid. About 600 ICE agents surrounded the premises of the plant and rounded up any individuals who seemed to be working without any legal documentation.

“It’s just sad to think that these kids had to lose education due to their innocent parents being detained by ICE,” Alejandra Santos said.

Credit: Rogelio V. Solis/AP
Credit: Rogelio V. Solis/AP

Many of these workers were parents of young children attending the Scott County School District in Mississippi. Therefore, a large amount of kids were left with no guardians and were taken to a gym in Forest, MS. Volunteers at the guy provided the kids food and beverages until they were able to reunite with their family. 

“Those people are part of families whom they work to take care of and support just like anyone else, documented or not. It upsets me so much to see children hurting because their parents are being stripped from them. Not only does it cause them separation anxiety, but loss of financial support and absences in school; all factors that will negatively affect their current and future state,” Karla Valdez said. 

Credit: Alex Love

“It’s saddening to know that immigrants make our country run but are being punished for something so innocent. Their kids deserve an education just like everyone else,” Stephenie Ortega said.

About 380 workers remained in custody and were sent to detention facilities in southwest Mississippi and Louisiana.