Virtual Learning vs. In-Person Learning

Pandemic Safety Effects 2020 High School Students

Daisy Mendoza is a Sophomore at La Joya Community High school. She is a hardworking and devoted student here; her grades can show this. Like every student attending school here, she must do virtual learning, for the time being, let’s hear her take on this school year.

This is an image from when I was conducting this interview. We obviously can’t do it in person so we did it on Snapchat to have this virtual interview.

We all know that this pandemic has affected us and has caused students to learn online. When Daisy is asked how she feels about school she

This is an image of where I do my virtual learning, but it varies because sometimes I like to sit at my desk or work in my kitchen area.

says that “So far, I’m liking how school is all online. I like how I’m able to do work in a comfortable environment, my room, and I’m able to focus a lot better since it’s just me.” This is very understandable because when going to in-person school your surrounded by students and things that can be distracting.

So, what are some of those strengths when learning in-person? When asked this she says, “When learning in-person, I was good at grasping concepts when I was able to visually see them.” This makes me think that everyone learns different, will this cause students to not comprehend the material they are learning?

Now, what about those weaknesses and strengths of virtual learning. Daisy says that “Sometimes I forget I’m doing school online, and it causes me to lose track of what we’re doing in class. I also feel online school can be a challenge most of the time with its reoccurring technical difficulties.” Like she said earlier she’s in a comfortable environment, so I can see how she can forget we are actually doing school.

There are some up’s because learning virtually has caused her to interact with the class more, but only for online learning. When she was learning in-person she says that she would shy away from participating because she just didn’t have the courage. Which makes sense because your surrounded by people and you don’t want to be judged. Henceforth, it all depends on your perspective of school because everyone learns different, no one is the same person.