Skater XL Review

Roman Sierra Rafael
In-game photos of Skater XL

Skater XL is a grounded simulation of skateboarding. It is nothing like the Tony Hawk games where you can pull off a 100 trick combo. The game has a more serious and realistic view of the sport. The game is physics-based and its controls are based on the “flick-it” system. Where you control the skateboard and how it flips and not the actual skater.

Metacritic says that, “Skater XL is a head first dive into the skateboarding world, where style, creativity and the perfect trick is yours to define.

Skater XL’s controls have some similarities to the Skate franchise, but mastering Skater XL’s controls is rather difficult. Each thumbstick represents your skater’s corresponding foot. In order for your skater to do a kickflip, Skater XL requires you to “pop” the board with the back foot and then flick the other thumbstick to the left. If you want to do a spin, that requires one of the triggers. If you want to do a grab trick, that requires one of the bumpers.

Doing a Kickflip in Skater XL

IGN says that, “…[Skater XL’s controls] is actually like learning a whole new language.

Skater XL currently has 8 maps to skate and explore. Those maps are: “Easy Day High School”, “The Big Ramp”, “Downtown Los Angeles”, “California Skatepark”, “West L.A. Courthouse”, “Streets”, “Hudland Training Facility”, and “Grant Park”. The size of the map varies from Downtown L.A & Easy Day High School being the larger maps in Skater XL to maps like West L.A Courthouse & California Skatepark being the smaller maps in the game. Easy Day Studios has stated that a new update is coming during the holidays; with new community maps and brand new gear.

Skater XL doesn’t have a campaign or story at all. All the game has to offer is a few challenges and there’s no “ultimate goal” beyond go skate and explore the map. The map design is good but lifeless, as there are no NPC skaters, no moving vehicles, and no multiplayer. The game is very glitchy, as your skater tends to have their foot go through the board, or have their body phase through a metal pipe or solid structures.

Skater XL has changed the skateboarding genre as a whole. The game is heavily reliant on mods to polish the game. Leaving the PS4 and Xbox versions very light on content. The game is aimed more towards actual skaters and relies on your creativity to find skate-spots and to be able to pull off cool tricks and sick combos.